Sunday, May 17, 2009

September 23, 2008 - Wow how time flies . . .

I can't believe it's already almost the end of September. The last time I posted, Chase was ending his 5th week of boot camp and now he's finishing up his 6th week of school! He finished Beast like a champ! I am so proud of everything he has done. It totally amazes me. The school year started for him before I even got there for my trip to see him August 23rd. He is taking a full load (like 19 1/2 hrs or something crazy like that) and it is extremely stressful. We've had a couple of conversations now where he has been totally stressed out and just needed to take a break and talk everything through. His gym coach, Doug, said that this would happen. He said that the professors actually purposefully give these kids more work than they can possibly do so that they can learn how to prioritize. Ha . . . how do you tell the high achiever to pick and choose what they will finish . . . the answer is you can't! They will work their tails off until they finish everything.

My trip to New York was absolutely magnificent! I took my Mom and Dad with me for A-Day or Acceptance Day and we spent the day in NYC on Friday before we drove up to West Point. It was interesting driving in NY traffic. I had to get my game face on. The cab drivers OWN THE ROAD. As long as you realize that, you will be okay. Anyway, we parked in a parking garage and took the subway down to Ground Zero and then we walked down to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. I don't know that mom and dad will ever get the chance or will actually want to go back to NYC, but I wanted them to see some of the sites nonetheless.


A-Day or Acceptance Day -- this is where the New Cadets are officially accepted into the Corp of Cadets as Plebes. It was a spectacular ceremony -- breathtaking to watch as 1200 cadets marched to join the company of the other 3000. Mom, Dad and I sat on the edge of our seats, holding our breaths as we watched the parade and tried to pick Chase out of the crowd.



Can you pick him out of this picture?

After the A-Day parade was over on Saturday, we had a set place to meet up with Chase -- in front of the glorious new library. We waited for what seemed like hours. I kept seeing cadets come out of their barracks and walk to their families. We watched one emotional reunion after the other as I stood their patiently. And then I saw him. He was pretty far down the road, but I'd know that walk anywhere! My knees were literally shaking as I waited for Chase to make his way to us. When he got close enough, I dropped my bag and ran and hugged him and kissed him and had a good cry. I have never been so happy to see someone in my entire life. It is a day I will never forget. He looked so handsome in his white over grey uniform! So lean and happy!
Everyone warned me that he would be different. He's not going to be the same - is what everyone kept telling me. Well, other than the fact that he is in the habit of ending every sentence with a title, he's still my same old sweet Chase! Hey Mom. Thanks Mom. How ya doin' Mom? I had to tell him to stop!! We laughed because he couldn't help it. We left post right away and headed for Schades. Chase wanted pizza for his first "off post" meal. So we did pizza. And it was wonderful! Pizza and a Coke with ice. That's what he wanted and that's what he got.
The rest of our day was spent giving my parents a tour of West Point and then back to our hotel where Chase changed into his civies, we watched TV and then Chase slept for hours! It was so nice to just sit and watch him sleep, I think that's something only a momma can understand.

Dad, Chase & Mom at Trophy Point

Me and Chase chillin' in my room.

Sunday we got up and had brunch at the West Point Club and took a tour of the new library before it was time to say goodbye. My parents said their goodbyes and then let me walk Chase back to his barracks for our farewell. Before we got there, we sat down on the ground and talked and then cried. I think it was just as hard to say goodbye this second time. We got up and walked the rest of the way to the barracks and had a long hug and then I watched him walk around the corner to his room. This is right before I left him. :-(I think I cried most of the way back to the airport. But God is good and I have to trust that Chase is right in the center of His will! Keep praying for a momma's lonesome heart will ya?

No comments: