Sunday, May 17, 2009

July 15, 2008 - Boot Camp - Week 3

Monday marked the 1st day of Chase's 3rd week of boot camp and exactly two weeks since we left him in New York. I have this weight on my chest that won't go away . . . I miss him so much. I've gotten 2 letters and 2 postcards from him. The first letter was very scattered and took a whole week to get here! He said that he had to write bits and pieces as he got the chance, because there was so little time to write. His next two postcards and letter were good! He said that he had a lot more free time than he thought that he was going to have (the 2nd week of Boot Camp) and that Boot Camp wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be. We really talked to him a lot before he left about expecting the worst that way if it was easier then that would be a bonus! It seems that so far, that's how it has been. It is awesome that he was in such great physical shape - he's doing well in all of the competitions and physical testing. He did get his first blisters on his feet while having to run 3 miles, which he said where very painful.

I've mailed him several cards, but just wrote my first letter to him this past weekend. I was trying to keep things light and upbeat for a while until he got more settled before I wrote a letter. He has gotten lots of mail which I am so grateful for. He has enjoyed his mail so much! Gym is going great for him. I talked online to one of the assistant coaches and he said that Chase is going to be a major force for the Army team this year. That is exciting!! Chase also told me that instead of only competing two events, which he had expected, that they are talking to him about competing all-around, which is all six events! That's even more exciting.

What else . . .Oh, he said that this week on Wednesday, they will be going out into the field to do mountaineering and that includes rapelling from some cliffs (he is excited about that) and on Thursday he has to go through the tear gas chamber (he is very nervous about that). The one thing that he has expressed in every single letter that he has written to me is how his relationship with God has grown. He is really drawing on his faith now, which is awesome. The foundation that we've given him is really coming into play. He has gone to church every Sunday and has also participated in the Chaplain's Meeting on Wednesday nights. This makes me very happy!! When you can count on no one else, you can count on GOD!! I'm glad he realizes that and is growing in that way.

Well, that's all for now . . . I love you Chaser and I miss you so much!! Only 39 days until I get to see you on Acceptance Day!!

No comments: