Tuesday, May 12, 2009

June 20, 2008 - One Week and Counting . . .

This is a new experience for me. It is Friday night, June 20th, and tomorrow marks one week until we fly to New York to bring my eldest child, Chase, to college at the United States Military Academy at West Point. I have felt so many emotions over the past year, but I never dreamed that it would be as much of a roller coaster as it has been for me. I am totally excited about the opportunity for my son to go to West Point. The degree he will leave that school with will take him anywhere he wants to go in life. The fact that he gets to continue in the sport that he loves (gymanstics) for four more years is amazing -- and I can't wait to see what he will do as a college gymnast. But it will be a major adjustment for me. Chase and I are cut from the same mold. We think alike, talk alike, complete each other's sentences . . . we stay up late watching TV or playing around on the computer, we work together -- we truly are about as close as a mother and child could be. I am not worried about him being in the Army or about how hard boot camp is going to be . . . he will be just fine! He is strong, smart, in great shape, and very disciplined. I just can't imagine life around my house or around the gym without Chase there. It will be lonely for a while. I'll have to write to him often and hope that he is able to write to me. Honestly, though, I am fascinated with the whole "Long Grey Line" thing. I can't wait to see what he will do because I know that he will be great at whatever he does.

On another note, we are headed to New Orleans this weekend to spend time down there with friends. We couldn't let Chase turn 18 and move to New York and not be able to tell the guys there about New Orleans night life -- it will be fun!

Until next time . . . .

No comments: