Monday, June 29, 2009

One year away from R-Day

One year ago today, our family showed up at Ike Hall at West Point at 6:30 a.m. for R-Day so that my oldest son, Chase, could begin in-processing. We waited in line for what seemed like hours, only to file into an auditorium for a short presentation and then the announcement that we had 90 seconds to say our goodbyes.As we walked around post that day thinking about what Chase was going through, I dreaded the approach of the time when the new cadets would march to trophy point and take their oath because I knew that would mean I had to turn around and leave to come home without him.


I have never cried so much in my entire life as I did on that trip back home.

As I sit here writing this, I thank God for his faithfulness! I thank my husband, Randall, for standing by my side, even on days (and there were lots of them) when I cried for no reason at all. I thank my youngest son, Cameron, for making me laugh, when I didn't think I would laugh again. I thank my family and friends for always calling to check on me and asking how Chase was doing. And I want to thank Chase, for working so hard and making me so proud this year!

As the Class of 2013 parents are sitting in their hotels or on their way home this evening after experiencing the extreme emotions of R-Day today, I have to say that this side of Plebe year is very sweet!

Even after the ups and downs of figuring out the Thayer method, learning how to manage a FULL class load with homework, gymnastics practice, an almost season ending injury, worrying about your child travelling alone for the first time (in New York no less) . . . I could go on and on. But we have all grown so much from this experience in our own ways and I truly am one of those people who believes that growth is good.

I have made so many new friends -- mostly other West Point moms and am blessed every day for the interaction that we have with one another and the way that we can share things that maybe no one else in the world can understand. I am also becoming a part of the West Point Field Force to help with the admissions process in my State.

So hold on tight all of you mommas of the class of 2013! I hope you like rollercoasters, cause you're in for one heck of a ride.

I sit here today so proud to be the Momma of a Soldier of West Point's Class of 2012 and considering how fast this year went by, I'll be watching my son throw his white hat in the air before you know it and pinning his 2nd Lieutenant bar on his uniform!

3 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

You gave me goosebumps! I recall R-Day and Beast with such a mixture of emotions but praise the Lord that we all survived! I'm so happy we got to know each other and are sons are buds. You captured so many emotions in this post. Write more!

Stacey said...

Thanks Cindy! I have to say that you inspire me so much in the way that you write. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to write as you do, but because of you, I will keep writing! Thanks my new Friend and fellow Momma of a Soldier!

Amber said...

Too sweet!! :o) I am proud of him too!